Crown Water Treatment Plant
The Crown Water Treatment Plant is located in Westlake, Ohio -- a western suburb of Cleveland -- making it the only water treatment plant not located in the City of Cleveland. The plant was first put into service in 1958 and pumps an average of 41.5 million gallons of water a day to the residents and businesses of Cleveland’s Westside, including its Western and Southwestern suburbs.
Crown Water Treatment Plant underwent $81.4 million in significant renovations and upgrades as part of the Plant Enhancement Program. Key improvements included renovating the plant to double its capacity from 50 million gallons to 112 million gallons; rebuilding the filters with deep bed media; improving the residual system; installing a water softener system to reduce SHC bulk delivery concentration from 12% to the engineered design feed rate of 6.5%; building a new powder activated carbon (PAC) system with a new storage tank, two day tanks and three peristaltic hose pumps; updating the Plant Operator’s main control room; and installing new computer stations and screens.
Since 1958, the Crown Plant has pressed forward to optimize operational designs and enhance water production to lead the industry in providing safe drinking water to the public. The recent updates have led the Crown Plant to maintain a viable and reliable drinking water source for the City of Cleveland and the surrounding suburbs. In 2004, the Crown Water Treatment Plant received the Director’s Award for Phase III of the Partnership for Safe Water. The award signifies commitment and dedication to ensuring customers receive the highest quality of water possible through preventative measures based on optimizing treatment plant performance and distribution system operations.
With additional changes in plant enhancement over the last several years, the Crown Water Treatment Plant has been awarded the Phase IV of the Partnership for Safe Water. Receiving the Partnership IV Award represents the accumulation and recognition of hard work by Cleveland Water engineers, consultants, and employees, which began in 1958 and continues today.