Save Money with these Summer Water Tips
Summer is here and the warmer weather often means increased water use for our customers. Since your water bill is based directly on your usage, more water means a higher bill. But we've got some tips to help you conserve water and save money.
Lawn and garden care are significant contributors to increased water usage during the spring and summer. But there are several ways you can be water smart and still maintain a great-looking yard.
- Regularly check your outside spigots and garden hoses for leaks. If you have a sprinkler system, make sure it's set correctly so that it doesn’t turn on when it’s raining.
- When watering plants, direct water right to the root zone, where it’s needed most, by using a watering wand, drip irrigation, or soaker hose.
- Water your lawn or garden during the early morning or evening hours rather than the afternoon. The higher midday temperature will quickly evaporate the water requiring you to use more to hydrate plants adequately.
- Cover garden beds with a thin layer of mulch or compost to help retain moisture, reduce evaporation, and minimize runoff. Don’t spread it too thick though, or it can work against you and prevent moisture from reaching the roots.
- Use native plants when landscaping. Since these plants are accustomed to the local climate, they require less care, such as watering or the need for pesticides or fertilizers.
- Install rain barrels to collect and store rainwater that you can use for watering your lawn or garden.
- Use a broom to clean dirt and debris from your driveway, walkways, deck, or patio rather than a hose.
Filling Your Pool
Cleveland Water allows customers to fill pools from a hydrant in order to help save money. To fill your pool using a hydrant, you’ll need to obtain a hydrant permit by preparing the following items to submit to our Permits and Sales Department:
- The address of the hydrant or the address of the dwelling closest to the hydrant,
- A letter of permission from your local fire department, and
- The number of gallons needed (or dimensions of the pool).
For more information on hydrant permits, please call 216-664-2444 or email PermitsandSales@clevelandwater.com.
Summer Sprinkling Program
Even if you follow the tips above, lawn and garden maintenance can still increase your usual water usage. The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD)’s Summer Sprinkling Program helps you save money on your sewer bills since this additional water doesn’t return to the sewer system.
Under this program, summer bills are based on your average winter water consumption, unless actual summer water consumption is lower. The program is in effect each year from May 1 to September 30. For questions or to apply, contact NEORSD at 216-881-8247.
The easiest and quickest way to save on your bill is by using less water, but we know that's not always enough. That's why we offer two bill discount programs to help further reduce the cost of water bills for income-eligible customers.
Our Homestead Program offers a lower water rate to homeowners 65 years and older, and/or permanently disabled, who meet income guidelines. Our Water Affordability Program offers a 40% bill discount to homeowners with a household income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
For more details on both programs, including how to apply, click here or call 216-664-3130.