Temporary / Hydrant Permit

Temporary Permits and Hydrant Permits

In some instances, you may need a temporary source of water for a variety of uses. A non-permanent service connection requires a temporary/hydrant permit. 

There are two types of permits available: metered and estimated. Metered permits are only issued for long-term usage (6 months or longer). All other permits are estimated by Cleveland Water. Please note: Customers in suburbs must also supply a copy of the approval letter from the fire chief of that suburb to use the hydrants.

Potential acceptable uses for a temporary/hydrant permit include:

  • Construction
  • Demolition/dust control
  • Landscaping and community gardens
  • Filling containers
  • Cleaning
  • Flushing
  • Mixing cement
  • Filling swimming pools or ponds

Filling Swimming Pool Permit Procedure

The City of Cleveland allows customers to fill a swimming pool by using a fire hydrant with appropriate approval. The following procedures must be followed:

  • The customer must obtain a letter of permission from the local fire department.  If the permit is being requested in Cleveland, no fire department letter is required.  When the permit is being paid for, the fire department letter must be brought to Permits and Sales so that we can sign off and make a copy for our file.  The customer is responsible for making sure the local fire department has a copy of the signed letter and permit from Cleveland Water.
  • The customer must give the dimensions of the pool, (i.e. length, width and depth), so that we can determine the amount of water needed.
  • The customer will then be given a price and must pay for the permit before it is issued.  The customer should be notified that they must obtain their own fire hydrant hose, hydrant wrench and independent gate valve to operate the hydrant.

There are no refunds on hydrant permits and this is stated on the permit form given to the customer.

Note: Some pool contractors will tell their customers they can contact Cleveland Water with their meter reading before they fill their pool from their homes so that they can receive a discount on the sewer bill.  This is not true.  There is no break on the sewer bill if the pool is filled from their home, unless their respective sewer district allows the installation of a sewer exempt meter (deduct meter). In this case, no reads need to be called in ahead of time since all water will register on the sewer exempt meter.

For more information about temporary/hydrant permits, please call (216) 664-2444 or email us at Permits&Sales@clevelandwater.com. To obtain a permit, please visit us at:

Permits & Sales
1201 Lakeside Ave., 2nd Floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44114