The Nottingham Water Treatment Plant is one of Cleveland Water’s four interconnected water treatment plants. Placed into service in September 1951, the plant pumps water to the eastern part of Cleveland and the southeastern suburbs. It is the only plant in our system that pumps water directly into three service districts – Low Service, which is the low-lying area closest to Lake Erie, the First High Service, which is a narrow area of a little higher elevation, and the Second High Service district, which is the highest elevation and furthest from the pump station. On average, the amount of water processed each day at the plant is 65 million gallons (MGD) with a yearly average of over 25 billion gallons. The cost of building the plant, including the Intake Crib, Shore Shaft and Tunnel was approximately $21 million.
Over the years, we have invested roughly $125 million in plant enhancements and upgrades to Nottingham. Some of the major upgrades include the rehabilitation of 18 filters; new filter controls; all new chemical feed systems; and all new sedimentation basin sludge collectors. One of the most significant additions to the plants was the installation and integration of control systems and monitoring software. This level of modernization of water treatment in the City of Cleveland not only raised operating standards but also the depth to which we are now able to better monitor the condition of the lake water quality.
Nottingham Water Plant was the first plant in the country to obtain a Phase III certification from the Partnership for Safe Water program for self-assessment and correction. The plant has received the Director’s Award from the program for the past 15 years and continues in its efforts to optimize our treatment process.